Sorry! This job is now closed, click below to view our open jobs or apply speculatively.View our open jobs View our open jobs
A great opportunity for someone looking to run a finance team of 6 people on a day to day basis in a relatively small business where you can make a difference but with all the benefits of being part of a large international group.
No 2 to CFO, reporting directly to him, running all aspects of finance but with clear support and delegation to 2 Finance Managers for day to day team activities and to the 3 team members below them for processing.
Scope for role development as CFO steps back and potential for succession opportunity.
Agency life is faced paced and you will need to be fully immersed in the business and on top of all aspects of the financial affairs of the group through overseeing the finance team and working closely with other colleagues in all other key parts of the business. This is not a finance job where you are sat behind a desk.
We are still fairly early in the process of transitioning from a small independent agency to part of a very large global corporation and there is huge scope to contribute to that success with the support of the agency finance team and a network of peers elsewhere in the group.
Furthermore as a relatively new acquisition and one of the larger agencies in the Mediabrands UK network there is naturally a lot of focus on our results from the wider group and therefore the role offers plenty of exposure to senior management further afield.
What you’ll be doing
- Responsible for the day to day running of the finance team (4 in Leeds and 1 in Peterborough) including important responsibility for coaching and developing the team
- Overall responsibility for the effective running of the day to day transactions including sign off of cash transactions and review of postings in the P&L and balance sheet, supporting the more junior team whose job is to process these transactions
- Opportunity to provide commercial input and critique around finances and feed into advice and commentary to board. Some access to other Exec members given our relatively flat structure
- Overall responsibility for the timely and accurate submission of monthly management accounts and other reporting to IPG finance. This is largely a review and management responsibility, supporting 2 part qualified individuals whose role it is to prepare these accounts and other reports
- Input to and review of annual budgets and quarterly reforecasts
- Responsible for ensuring team structure, processes, controls and ‘infrastructure’ are sound and as efficient as possible. There is definite scope for change in this area if required and for identifying and implementing process improvements in order to increase strength of controls and efficiencies within the team
- Overall responsibility for the operation and review of the control environment, ensuring adherence to the parent group policies and interacting with regional controllers team
- Responsible for compliance aspects – annual statutory accounts, tax inc VAT and CT
- Involvement in systems integration and projects as part of transition to full IPG infrastructure
What you’ll need
- A full accounting qualification (preferably CIMA or ACCA)
- At least  years’ experience of running a finance team in a medium or preferably large company but comfortable in the culture of an entrepreneurial marketing agency.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to develop cross functional relationships, communicate clearly and concisely and provide challenge where appropriate.
- Be a people person but also happy to get sleeves rolled up if required, particularly to start with
- Be comfortable interacting with senior management including presenting historic and forecast financial information
- Be familiar with larger business systems (eg Hyperion) and reporting requirements and need to be able to be comfortable with tight deadlines required by group
- Strong technically and with excel/systems – background of experience as management accountant ideal
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines with a positive approach to getting things done.
- Ability to see the big picture view whilst maintaining attention to detail.
What would be helpful but not necessarily required
- Understanding of US GAAP & revenue recognition criteria
- Experience in the industry or understanding thereof